Saturday, November 7, 2009

Biggest Loser loves big fat bureaucracies

I was watching “The Biggest Loser” the other night and for the episode they went to Washington DC. Let me tell you that this episode was disgusting, the hero worship that was shown for the bureaucrats was amazing. I guess it gives me a window into an aspect of society I rarely see. They kept saying things like “I can't believe I am working out right here where I can see the white house, THE WHITE HOUSE!”. I say so what?

I used to live a couple of blocks away from the Colorado State Capitol and I don't believe I ever thought to myself anything like “I am going to eat at the Noodle bowl that is across the street from the capitol building! The capitol building, that is where the bureaucrats work!”. For 2 years I lived right beside the governor's mansion, I felt no awe about it. So am I unusual and the fact that I didn't feel any awe about the trappings displayed by the state government? Am I an anomaly or do most people not really feel much about the state facilities? If most people don't care about state facilities then why do they care about federal facilities?

Back to the Biggest Loser, at one point they ate a salad in the kitchen at the White House. To my eyes it seemed pretty lame and the kitchen looked like any other restaurant kitchen. They didn't eat in a dinning area, but rather in the actual kitchen and most were standing or leaning against counters, etc. I thought it seemed rather lame, but the players in the biggest loser interviewed seemed to act like this was the highlight of their life.

They also spoke to some bureaucrats, and this was even more lame. They were pleading with these bureaucrats to “do something” about the obesity crises. What the hell can some bureaucrat do to prevent obesity that doesn't involve a greater level of tyranny? If I had been on the show (an I am obese so this is not as much of a stretch as you may think) I would have told them to leave us alone and that if they really wanted to do something about obesity (which I doubt) they should quit subsidizing farmers. Maybe if people had to pay the true price for food then obesity would drop, it may make the tax payer thinner and the tax payer's wallet fatter, a double win.

No comments: