Friday, March 19, 2010

Sorry for lack of posts

Sorry I have not been posting lately. I tend to go through times where I simply do not care about politics. Then something happens to pull me back in. One problem with being a voluntaryist is that one dream I have is for a world where all interactions are consensual, this rules out any human-government action. Sometimes I ignore the vast machine of coercive action, it doesn't make it go away, but I have other shit I would rather be paying attention to instead of concerning myself with what the slave masters are up to this week.

I enjoy libertarian activism almost more as a hobby than anything else. I don't expect to change the world. Lately I have been seriously pondering if the government removes the barriers from marijuana and legalizes it in the way likely (with high taxes) if in 20 years will it be looked upon as a great stride towards freedom or the beginning of a new tyrannical age. It is hard for me to look at the repeal of alcohol prohibition in 1933 as a new age of tolerance and freedom. Instead the government took the new revenue streams from the taxes they collected on alcohol to create more tyranny. On the whole I see it as a loss for libertarianism. That was the beginning of the massive federal government and the war on drugs, etc.

No comments: