Friday, April 16, 2010

Crazy People and silver Bracelets

Last night I was placed in metal bracelets for a short amount of time. I had went over to a friends house to help her (I will call her flash to help keep her identity secret) clean up after her roommate had went on a violent rampage and had trashed the house. Earlier in the day she had called the police because she was worried about her roommate (he will be known as *******). Calling the police is not anything I would ever recommend doing as nothing good will come from that, but alas she is not a libertarian and it wasn't any of my business to tell her what to do. So 12 hours after she had called the police we had went back to the house and were cleaning up when they had decided they would “check in” to make sure everything was alright. It was just Barb, Flash and me and all we were doing is cleaning the house up a bit when they came. I don't talk to police officers voluntarily so I stayed cleaning in the kitchen while Flash talked to the police in the living room. One of the cops, the younger one started nosing around the bedrooms, so I stopped and kept an eye on him, cops are not to be trusted and nobody had said he could walk around the house. It was obvious nothing was going on at that point in time and that the person they wanted to talk to was not home. I guess this cop did not like me eying him so he approached me and said “can I see your identification?” in the way cops do where they phrase it as a question but intone it as an order. I told him no as he had no reason to need to see my ID. Then he made up some horseshit about how “this is a dangerous job and we need to know who we are dealing with, cops gets killed all of the time”, I responded that he is full of shit and knows it and when he becomes a fisherman, then he can talk to me about how dangerous his job is. Then they tried another tactic on me and that was to say “for all we know you are ******* (flash's roommate) and these girls just didn't tell us you were him because they were scared”, I responded that there are plenty of pictures of ******* around and it is obvious I am not him, and even if I were him, there is no evidence ******** has committed any crime. They came back with “destroying property is a crime”, of course that led me to tell them “no it isn't if the property you destroy is your own property”. Then they asked me again for my ID, I asked them what is their reasonable and articulatable suspicion that I have been involved in a crime and would be the basis for me having to provide them with identification? They had no answer except to say “it is the law in Colorado if a police officer asked you to identify yourself then you must identify yourself”. Notice the wording of the cops, I have to identify myself, but rookie cop had said I had to show him my identification, these are two separate things. I may be required by law to state my name, but I am not required to show identification on a terry stop. Then they asked me again if I would show them my identification and once again I said no. Then they handcuffed me and pulled out my wallet the older cop was the first one to look in my wallet, he saw my insurance card and stuff and didn't find my ID and put it back, having been satisfied that I was not *******. The rookie was not satisfied with this and asked where my ID was, I told him it is in my wallet but the other guy didn't look in the right place. So rookie cop, pulled out my wallet with one hand and tried to hold onto my arm with the other hand and went through my wallet, spilling out my money and finally finding my ID. Finding out I wasn't ***** was not enough for rookie, he asked the other cop “aren't you going to run that?”, then the other cop felt like he had to run my name. After that we all sat there for 20 minutes looking at each other and I was in handcuffs as well as being held by the rookie cop. Finally my name came back clear and they left.

1 comment:

Kindra said...

wow...i was wondering if flash was ok and what the hell happened...but to make matters even worse i can't believe the cops treated you that way, as a friend that was there to help flash. so f'ed up! sheesh...