Friday, June 11, 2010

If you see something, say something

When I was in New York I had a funny moment. We were going back to the hotel and it was fairly late at night. Riding on the New York subway, I was standing and there was a sign right in front of me, the sign said “If you see something, say something” and had a picture of a lone box tied up in twine.

On this subway car over in the corner was a person. I presume he was a homeless person, sitting in the corner of the subway car. This guy was wearing a thick winter coat with a hoodie over his head, it was freaking 90 degrees and I was in a tee shirt and shorts and was sweating bullets. You could not see him at all. The only thing I could make out was that he was a black person, he may not have even been a “he”, but I think it was a he. He had one of these stand up shopping carts with the large back wheels. On the cart there were two box shaped objects stacked upon each other, both box shaped objects were covered in black plastic bags so you could not see what was in them, and he kept reaching into the one on top. It appeared to me he kept pulling out a bottle of booze and adding it to a plastic cup he was carrying. However, it could have been anything.

I really thought it was funny that I was standing by a sign that wanted me to report some strange behavior, but nobody seemed to think this was at all unusual of a sight. A man wearing a thick winter coat in the middle of summer, pushing a cart containing two boxes that were wrapped in black plastic, that is perfectly normal, but someone forgetting their backpack on the train, that is unusual.

No comments: